Super Soft and Moist Egg Free Banana Bread
Old school, delicious and basically tastes like cake, right? We grew up with banana bread as a treat served with a thick spread of salted butter. (Just the thought makes my mouth water.) Usually we buy bananas for a specific purpose- smoothies, desserts and of course banana bread. But this time round we were fortunate enough to have some over ripe bananas on hand.
The one specific detail that most recipes specify, is that you should use overripe or blackened bananas. After trying it out, we can most certainly agree that overripe bananas are the way to go. The reasons why overripe bananas are better suited for baking include:
- They’re easier to mash and therefore incorporate more smoothly into the batter.
- They’re sweeter- starch has converted to sugar.
- The are more aromatic when overripe.
In addition, you now have a reason to use bananas that are no longer ideal for eating!
- 4 Very ripe bananas/ blackened bananas
- 1 ½ cups Cake flour
- ½ cup Melted butter
- ¾ cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tsp Caramel essence
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Butter for serving
- Honey for serving
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Line a bread loaf pan with baking paper- you could also spray a bit of cooking spray onto the baking paper.
- Mash the bananas with a fork
- In a mixing bowl, combine the finely mashed bananas with the melted butter.
- Mix in the yogurt, vanilla essence and caramel essence.
- Add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Sift in the flour and combine all the ingredients.
- Pour mixture into the lined bread loaf pan.
- Bake for 1:15 or until deep brown and cooked through: a good test is using a wooden pick or cake tester to pierce the cake and check if the pick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from pan.
- Serve with soft butter and honey.
We hope you love this super moist and soft banana bread!
2 thoughts on “Banana Bread”
Caramel essence! I bet this taste amazing!
If you ever give it a try, let me know how it turns out! I’m obsessed with all the different essences out there- some great flavors to play with =)