Whole roasted stuffed pumpkin/ squash with jalapeno, rocket, caramelised red onions, Parmesan, and black garlic
On the note of squashes and pumpkins: we don’t have too much happening around here on Halloween. To be honest, this was the very first year we’ve had yellow pumpkins for carving available in stores. With temperatures soaring above 30°C, I can certainly see why leaving out carved vegetables at your front door never took off…
Front-door composting aside, the pumpkin range available, extended well beyond the big yellow numbers. Stores are packed with numerous varieties of decorative pumpkins, “that can also be used as candle holders…”. I kid you not.
Inspired by the myriad of new and interesting stock, we couldn’t help but play around with our new acquisitions. First challenge: mix some summer salad ingredients with hearty sweet pumpkins. Or how we see it: Where Spring and Autumn meet.
Serves 2-4 lunches or 4-6 side dishes -depending on the side of your squash.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour- 1h30
- 1 Medium sized pumpkin or squash like Kabocha
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 Red jalapeño chilli
- ½ tsp Mixed spice
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Dried, ground ginger
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 cups Fresh rocket leaves
- 1 red Onion
- ½ cup Shaved Parmesan, Grano Padamo or Pecorino
- 2 tbsp Chopped black garlic (6 cloves)
- Balsamic reduction for dressing
- Pre-heat your oven to 150°C
- Thoroughly wash the skin of the pumpkin/ squash, and slice the top of the pumpkin off (about the top ¼).
- Scoop out the seeds and strands, and place the two pieces- cut side up- on baking paper on a baking tray.
- Finely chop the chilli; drizzle the pumpkin/ squash halves with olive oil and honey; sprinkle with mixed spice, cinnamon, ginger and chopped red chilli.
- Bake for 1 hour- 1h30 until the flesh is soft when pierced with a fork.
- Slice red onion into 3mm slices and fry with butter over medium heat, until soft and browned- about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Once cooked remove squash from oven and allow squash to cool slightly.
- Mix fresh rocket, caramelised red onion, shaved hard cheese, and ⅔ black garlic, and spoon into pumpkin/ squash shell.
- Garnish with remaining black garlic, drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve.
- Use the top of the pumpkin as a serving prop. Alternatively, you can dice the ‘lid’ and include it in the filling.
Cooking can be done in advance- and assembly just before serving.